Wednesday, May 28, 2008

I survived Cambodia

Yes, I survived a seven days trip in Cambodia. I do not know if the word "survived" is appropriate for this trip. I must confess, it is quite enjoyable and not as torturous as the word "survive" may imply. The hotel was good, the tour guide was friendly, the places I visited are interesting, I could learn many things about Cambodian culture, but then there is something missing, i think...

We visited an orphanage. Personally, I think the things that we (me and my classmates) organise at the orphanage are messed up. All of them are messed up. However, the orphans over there are... very friendly. Yes, on the last day of our visit there, everyone but me played some traditional/local game with the orphans until, in extreme cases, 4 in the morning. Unbelievable isn't it? It is intriguing how modernised people still have that desire to play some 'lame' games with the orphans, and think that they are fun. Well, to tell you the truth, I personally think that the games are, indeed, fun. The most mind blowing fact of all is that some of my classmates even have (had) a crush on some female orphans.

You may ask, "what's wrong with having a crush like that?" The problem is, in my humble personal opinion, such relationship can not go on due to the different backgrounds between us and the kids over there. We are not Cambodians and the orphans are not Singaporeans. Worse still, we are so far apart from each other. Few days without contact will kill off the love that we may have towards the orphans. I had my own experience trying, desperately and hopelessly, to uphold the relationship or, should I say, love towards someone so distant from me. She is basically my childhood friend. We are far apart from each other, and my attempts to retain the relationship that we had failed miserably. So, based on my personal experience, a distant relationship can not go on.

What are we in the orphans eyes? I think we are not more than friends. We are just one of those groups that visited the orphanage. Even so, my classmates are looking forward for another trip during the next school holiday. Sigh, I wonder how long they retain such a futile passion, now that it is incredibly hard for us to contact the orphans. Enough about orphans, dammit. Thinking of them makes me more and more depressed.

Why do i get depressed when I think of those orphans? Regret. I truly regret for not playing with them on that last night in the orphanage. I was trying to retain my sanity in my room, alone, after I witnessed a betrayal by someone I do not particularly like at that time. It is, in a way, good for my classmates that they can love those orphans. As for me, I find it difficult to love. This loveless dude, is kind of depressed because he find it hard to love anyone. He finds everything so unfaithful, so not eternal, so futile. He does not want to be hurt when those things that he love is taken away from him. Therefore, he decided that he might as well not love anyone or anything. Drifting...

Anyways, the trip was interesting. We visited a slaughterhouse for Cambodians during Pol Pot time. We visited the palace where Cambodian kings' throne resides. We visited a local village. We visited a temple. We visited a market with all those unbelievably cheap and, of course, fake stuf in the market. We shoot people down... Wait. That doesn't sound right. We shoot them down with our cameras. That sounds better. (Thanks for not laughing). I'm spending too much time on this post. No wonder people ask me if I have enough time for such a thing like this blog. Fine, I'll keep my future posts shorter, especially those that are posted during school holidays.

It's the end... My broadband internet will be taken away today, and I can never post anything till I purchase my own broadband internet. So... This is a temporal farewell, I hope.

No comments: